There was a time, I think I remember it vaguely, when summer meant relaxing. The most work I would do in a day might involve dragging myself away from a book and into the pool, or vice versa. Not anymore - we have yet to spent more than one weekend in the new home because we've been running all over the East coast. Wasn't the traveling supposed to end after our move?
We spent the holiday weekend in upstate New York. Matt's grandfather is one of seven children and all six of the living siblings (and many children and grandchildren) converged for a family reunion on the lake for July 4th. We had a simply amazing time and can't wait to go back! Everybody is just so sweet and patient, even as I was grilling cousins (with ever-present leader book* out, no less) about the family tree, trying to get names and relationships down.
Molly had the best time running and playing with the other family dogs (4 or 5 in total) who came along. She did NOT, however, like the water. Matt threw her off the side of the dock at one point, just to see what she would do. Did she swim the 20 strokes to shore? Oh no, not our girl. She swam the two strokes to the LADDER off the dock and attempted to CLIMB THE LADDER. I shit you not. She had seen people do it all day and was convinced that was the way to safety. She hooked her front legs over a rung, tucking it into her underarm area, and tried to scramble up. Amidst our uncontrollable laughing, Matt did help her up the ladder while an uncle managed to get a priceless picture. Hopefully he'll send it to us very soon.
After we drove back to Maryland, I promptly headed to DC for a conference. I came home yesterday with plenty of swag and a deep desire for sleep.
* a notebook, for you non-military folk. 


8 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment