Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Introducing...

the newest member of our family:

Jake

I just want to smoosh his little face!


Almost exactly a year after Arthur first got sick, the time is finally right to bring a feline presence back into our home. Jake is a Siberian kitten who will be coming home in about three weeks - just in time for Momma's birthday! He also happens to share Daddy's birthday, which is how we knew it was fate.

I know, I know, I'm a sick woman when it comes to my fur-babies.

***

As such passionate advocates of animal rescue, I do want to address why we decided to go to a breeder this time. Our existing family obviously had to be considered. We were firmly settled on a Siberian, mainly for the personality (to keep up with Molly), but also because they are hypoallergenic cats (Matt has minor allergies).

Siberians are, unfortunately, very rare in the United States, and we couldn't find a rescue organization with a young kitten available for adoption. Believe me, we searched - at the time we started looking, there were only seven Siberians in shelters across the whole COUNTRY. Molly has established dominance in our home and we didn't want to challenge that by adopting an older cat (especially when the move has already shaken her). So, to a breeder we went, and we couldn't be happier with the one we found.

Probably more information than you wanted, huh?

3 comments:

Shana said...

Aww, he's so fuzzy and cute!!

Nicole said...

He is adorable! Congrats.

Naomi said...

oh my gosh, he can not be any cuter!! I love him! Hope your latest addition is also loved by Molly?! Yay! Here's to many wonderful kitten memories! :)