Tuesday, December 23, 2008

"Such DINKS!"

I don't think I'm a crazy animal person. Yes, I love my pets and they are 100% part of our family. But, I don't dress them up like babies or take them everywhere with me. I'm sane, I swear. Apparently that's in question with my colleagues.

It all started when Matt called me at work and excitedly informed me that Molly passed her interview at a doggie daycare facility nearby. Apparently, it's quite competitive and the dog before her failed spectacularly. My tongue-in-cheek announcement led to quite a few comments about our DINK (Dual Income, No Kids) status.

Here's the thing - we travel extensively and often. We have vacations planned to Honduras and Belize this year, not to mention a few weddings and a possible 5th anniversary trip to Australia. And when we travel, I want to know that my animals are stimulated and cared for, not locked in a cage 23 hours a day, let out for quick bathroom breaks.

The hardest part about moving from North Carolina was leaving Molly's camp - she loved it, we loved it, they loved her. There was a lot of love. It's been over six months since we arrived in Maryland and no place has yet to come close in amenities (and price!). Here's hoping we finally found THE ONE!

2 comments:

Sara said...

I hate having to take Jagger everywhere but Ft. Polk to my knowlege only has one kennel. They refused to let me see their facilities (they were in the woods, literally) and they had hardly even a general idea of how the dogs are cared for each day. This makes Mark and I not want to travel anywhere that he can't go. And now I seem insane. My other kennel charged $25/day for a tv in their room, treats, day camp and a webcam. I understand I won't find that but I'd like to confidently assume my dog won't be found dead the day we get back either.

Naomi said...

oh my gosh, yay, i hope this is the one!!! where is it? what's the name? i hope Molly and Jake appreciate all the searching you've both done...