Thursday, September 18, 2008

Bones

Last night's episode of Bones focused on a dog fighting ring and the cruel, despicable people who run them. A secondary storyline highlighted "casual" pet owners who put their animals to sleep when they just don't "feel like dealing with them" anymore. Matt and I were snuggling with Molly and Jake on the couch, per our usual evening routine, and hugged our kiddos a little bit tighter. By the end of the episode, I was a bawling mess.

We've made the cause of animal rescue a priority in our house and charitable giving takes up a healthy percentage of our budget. My not-so-secret dream? I want to own 40+ acres of land and be able to adopt as many unloved animals as I can. As we work toward that goal, I think we may start volunteering here and here.

What else can we do?

1 comments:

Sara said...

First, Bones is probably my favorite show on TV right now and I am waiting impatiently for her and boothe to get together.

I am right there with you with the animal cruelty. I have to change the channel every time the news mentions all the animals that were locked in homes or in backyards during Katrina, and I did hug my puppy a little tighter. When I was packing up and securing my home for Hurricane Ike, I put Jag in his kennel so I could load the truck. Until he started howling. Didn't know my dog could howl, and it sounded awful. I had to run upstairs and started crying because I thought that's what he would sound like if I had been so cruel to leave him in a danger zone. He knew something was going on and thought he was getting left behind. Break my heart.

After all the pictures mark has sent me of these puppies in Iraq who will never be loved, I told hime we had to adopt a pet or two when he comes home.