Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Who knows you better?

This was the source of a major issue with my younger brother last night. While I realize they're not really comparable and are VERY different relationships...

If you HAVE to choose one, who would you say knows you better, your husband or your mom/dad? Is this dependent on how long you've been married or known your spouse, or where you live in relationship to your spouse or parent?

I think it's inherently a different relationship. A parent watches a child grow up and that is an experience that can never be duplicated. Even if a parent and child become friends later on, the relationship always has its roots in childhood.

A spouse is, from the beginning, an equal and a partner. It's a different experience to live with somebody as a spouse. I think it's very accurate to say that Matt knows me better NOW - as a wife, friend, career woman - than either of my parents. Love certainly has something to do with it (because of the difference in the KIND of love), but I think it's the day-in-day-out partnership of marriage as well (a parent/child relationship is never a partnership - at least, I can't think of an instance where it would be).

0 comments: